Thursday, September 30, 2010

Eating Meditation...

When I think about my fast-paced life and 20 minutes I have to "scarf down" my lunch, 
I wonder how this impacts my quality of life. 
How can I slow down enough to actually taste my food much less enjoy the process? 

In the book, Chakra Meditation by Swami Saradananda mentions an eating meditation.
Here's a shortened version:

1. Prepare a plate with 3 different fruits or vegetables, all with different textures, and tastes.
2. Breathe deeply into your abdomen, you manipura chakra.
3. Look and feel the first piece
4. Close your eyes and place the fruit to your lips, smell it
5. Bite into it, notice the flavor and texture
6. Chew slowly, and continue to chew 20-30 times before you swallow.
7. Visualize the fruit being digested and assimilated then repeat with the rest of the food.
8. Try this every day for 40 days, vary the food to include savory snacks too.


Please let me know you try any or all of these things.
I'll try it and check back in...

1 comment:

  1. This meditation reminds me of when I was in France at the "Dans le noir" restaurant. The restaurant is so dark you cannot see ANYTHING. It was a sensory experience I will never forget.
    c

    ReplyDelete