Sunday, November 21, 2010

Drink your food, and chew your drinks....

This strange advise was given out my my yoga instructor today, so I looked it up...
 
Drink Your Food and Chew Your Water
Written by John Joseph Immel, Asheville, NC

All foods that are difficult to digest must be chewed with care. Insufficient chewing of food forces stomachs to break down larger chunks by acids. While an easy task for a tooth it takes time and effort for acids. In the hot, balmy environment of the gut, delays in digestion lead to fermentation. Hard to chew means hard to digest.
Dr. Lad Says, "Drink Your Food, Chew Your Water."
Chew food, even drinks, until it is completely mixed with saliva. Saliva contains enzymes that help digest food. Saliva also fights bacteria. Proper chewing alerts the tonsils and aimmune system to threats by bacteria.
 
What do you know? 
I told this to my 5 year-old, he got a kick out of it. 
t.

No comments:

Post a Comment