Sunday, August 29, 2010

Why Yoga?

So the next time that I hear my friend say, " Oh, yeah I took a yoga class once at the Y, it really wasn't my thing..."
 Without being defensive, I'll keep in mind a few of the reasons mentioned in class today, why we do yoga.
1. Be calm
2. Relax
3. Breathe
4. New Body Image
5. Awareness
6. Quiet Mind
7.Able to Stop
8. Be present
9. Restructure Priorities
10. Productive
11. Clarity
12. More Connected
13. Spirit
14. Community
15. Flexibility
16. Happier
17. Exude "Yoga"

As I was biking home I was thinking that life is like a bike ride. Sometimes the wind is at my back while going down hill. Other times it was a bit more like today. Hot sunnyday, uphill with the wind in my face. At the top of this hill was a long food-shelf line, reminding me how lucky I am still.

3 comments:

  1. I like this quote by Deepak Chopra regarding this topic:

    "The essential purpose of yoga is the integration of all the layers of life- environmental, physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual."

    If someone says that's just "not my thing" then they probably came to the class with a mindset that was not aligned with the class or the instructor, or perhaps they are just not ready for the experience.

    "No man can learn what he has not preparation for learning, however near to his eye the object." - Emerson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along those same lines, "Beginner's Mind" is a real gift/blessing.

    ReplyDelete